TB free Khyber Pakhtunkhwa with Zero deaths, disease, and suffering caused by TB.
To end the TB epidemic in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa by 2030.
World TB Day 2017
WORLD TB DAY 2017 AT KHYBER PAKHTUNKHWA
A National Seminar with stakeholders on World TB Day 2017 under Health Department Khyber Pakhtunkhaw in collaboration with national TB Control programme on 04th April at Jalal Baba Auditorium, Abbottabad on.
Objectives of Seminar
- To advocate for TB understanding, persuasion, screaming and treatment among the media, editors and journalists and general public.
- How can media be effectively engaged in stop TB activities
- To find means to incorporate media suggestions to build sustainable public media partnership
- To sensitize media professionals on TB issues and to develop ownership to take up issue on their own as a social and professional responsibility
- To enhance the knowledge of participants about NTP activities and existing global and country situation of TB
- To mobilize media support in awareness raising and information sharing with masses for persuasion and treatment of TB patients from the TB centers.
- Participant’s profile
Participants of this Seminar included Chief Guest Sardar Idrees MPA KPK, DHO Abbottabad Dr. Muhammad Qasim Khan, DTO Abbottabad Dr. Faisal Khanzada, Program Manager TB Control KPK Dr. Abdul Khaliq and representative of electronic and print media, health reporters, editors, journalists and NTP.
Proceedings of the Seminar:
- Recitation from the Holy Quran
The proceeding of National Seminar started with the recitation of Holy Quran.
- Introduction of Participants:
Comparing of the program was started by Dr. Faisal Khanzada to introduce the participants and Chief Guest Sardar Idrees MPA KPK.
- Welcome Address: Dr. Muhammad Qasim Khan
DHO Abbotabbad Dr.Muhammad Qasim Khan welcomed the Chief Guest Sardar Idrees MPA KPK, DTO Abbottabad Dr. Faisal Khanzada, Project Director TB Control KPK Dr. Abdul Khaliq editors and journalists of newspapers and all other participants. He requested them to actively participate to eradicate the TB by given education to general masses through columns and reports because TB is a big threat in Pakistan especially in KPK. He gave background information of the disease. He reiterated that media can only be the tool to aware the public about TB diagnostic and treatment centers.
- Presentation by DTO Abbotabad: Dr. Faisal Khanzada
Dr. Faisal Khanzada gave a brief on TB strategy in KP. He told that we change the perceptions of people about TB. We have established many health care centers in different districts at KPK for awareness of people regarding the disease. Our objective is that those people who inflected this disease should go to the nearest health care center or diagnostic center and after diagnose TB, the patient should use the medicine regularly for six months. If a patient does not complete treatment, this disease becomes more dangerous (MDR) in which chances of recovery is low and treatment of MDR is very expensive and patient would be hospitalized. So, it is the responsibility of the whole community members like Teachers, Media, Political Leaders, NGo’s, Government and other influential members of society to raise their voice and step ahead to root out this disease. He also stated in his briefing that in Pakistan we are trying to give the free diagnostic facility to private hospital so that the number of patients will be decreased. In Pakistan majority of the burden is on Public Hospitals which is resulting in lack of proper care, medicines and other facilities.
- Address By Project Director TB Control Programme KPK: Dr. Abdul Khaliq
- Address By MPA KPK : Mr. Sardar Idrees
The honourable chief guest commented that Tuberculosis (TB) is an important public health problem that is preventable and curable. He informed that TB is a fatal disease but it can be cured by treatment and by ensuring quality tuberculosis care through public sector health services and by enhancing the role of other partners including private sector and Non-governmental organizations. He said that the Provincial Tuberculosis Control Programs (PTP), under their respective departments of health are responsible for coordinating the planning, implementing, managing and financing of the tuberculosis control activities in their respective regions. He said that media’s role is pivotal in creating awareness about this disease.
- Distribution of Souvenirs:
Sardar Idrees Distributed Souvenirs in recognition of services to TB control in KPK to DHO Abbottabad Dr. Muhammad Qasim Khan, DTO Abbottabad Dr. Faisal Khanzada, and Project Director TB Control programme Dr.Abdul Khaliq and others.
- Vote of Thanks
Vote of thanks was given by the Dr. Faisal Khanzada to all the participants who attended this event and in closing remarks she said that our goal is to eliminate Tuberculosis from KPK and from Pakistan forever.